Friday 25 May 2012

May Glossybox - 1st Birthday Edition

I've been getting Glossybox since last Christmas, so this will be my sixth delivery. Some have been good and some have been a tad disappointing. The best one so far was probably the Harrods edition for me, and the worst was the eco/natural/organic box, which was last one. I had it in mind to cancel after that but I got billed for the following month before I did and I thought 'what the heck, I'll give this next one a chance'.


Here's a few pics of some of my previous boxes...






And now onto my new one, which arrived today. I sometimes see what others have received in their Glossybox through instagram, or other blogs - I usually discover that everyone else got a much better lot than I did, especially with the last natural edition. People were getting Burt Bees and Cherry & Vanilla or Rose flavoured lipbalm, I got hair gel (hair gel?!?), lipliner and a peppermint and tea tree flavoured lip balm (yuck). So was this one any better?

In my opinion, yes!



This month’s Glossybox celebrates their first anniversary (or Birthday) and comes with a couple of extra themed goodies. I can’t fault Glossybox for beautiful presentation – I especially love their commemorative tissue paper! Even though I’m paying for a subscription, it really does feel like a present arriving in the post…




The first thing I did was blow up the balloon! I really hate these kind of balloons (I’m ok with foil ones) because of my fear of sudden loud poppage. But as this one was a pretty pink shade I braved it.


We received a special Glossybox branded mirror as an extra. It’s nothing fancy but it’s a good size for portability, has a normal mirror and magnifier, and was a nice touch really.


I’ll list the goodies in the order they appear on the card. By the way I really want to say how much I love the card that lists the contents – mostly because of the QR code links. Perfect for lazy bums like me!


Noble Isle – Summer Rising Bath & Shower Gel 75ml

“An Immaculate fragrance evoking the beginnings of summer, with toning elderflower and antioxidant-charged gooseberry. Noble Isle is a new British bath & body brand inspired by the natural and cultural riches of the British Isles.”

On a random note - I really love their logo with the flowers growing out of an old fashioned bathtub! I imagine it's a nod to flowery fragrant bathtimes.


This has a nice floral fragrance which is inoffensive. I happen to like flowery scents, and am also a fan of elderflower so I think I’ll enjoy using this. It’s a good travel size especially as it's a multitasker, or I could save it for when I fancy a nice change.

The 250ml version is available to buy on their website for just £20 – twenty flippin’ quid?!? I don’t care how nice it is, I wouldn’t part with twenty of my English pounds for bubble bath unless it had magical properties!

Pardon my outburst… moving swiftly on.

Lolita Lempicka fragrances


There were two vials to sample. The Glossybox card invited us to “Discover Lolita Lempicka’s feminine world where Parisian chic meets fantasy fairy tale to create the perfect fragrance.”

The L’Eau en Blanc one is described as “a bouquet of white violets with a hint of raspberry and musk”. At first spray I thought ‘it’s nice, but not necessarily for me’. Over the last few hours it has settled on my skin and is smelling more and more appealing, I can pick out the raspberries! It reminds me of a grown up version of the Hello Kitty fragrance that came out a few years ago from COTY (I have a couple of bottles!). It's very delicate and girly but the hint of musk stops it from being sickly sweet.

Si Lolita is described as “The secret spicy freshness of Sweet Pea” and I immediately thought of it as a spicier and zingier version of the other fragrance before I’d read the card! Unlike L’eau en Blanc I can’t really smell it as much now. It’s a nice scent but I don’t think it’s one I’d like to buy.


I’ll continue to use these perfumes, maybe when I go out, and see how I feel about them. You can find both fragrances and more on the House of Fraser website, which is currently offering a free Parisian Shopper handbag with any purchase of a 50ml and above.  

L’eau en Blanc starts from £49 and Si Lolita starts from £35.

WELEDA Wild Rose Smoothing Night Cream 5ml


I had a bit of trouble figuring out what on earth this thing was (I had to visit the website!) – the box and packaging had barely any English on it whatsoever and the Glossybox card referred to it as Face Cream/Body Milk as there were other Weleda samples sent out.
I sincerely love rose scented products – I use a rosewater toner which is fab (will do a blog post soon) so was chuffed to finally try something from the Weleda Wild Rose range.

Glossybox inform us that “Weleda products only contain natural ingredients grown biodynamically to help restore health and maintain wellbeing.”


It smells divine - it's quite strong so if you don't do heady florals then it might be a bit overpowering for you. I’ve just put it on before bedtime and it absorbed very quickly. I thought it was quite thick when it came out of the tube but I used a tiny, less than pea sized amount (petis pois?) and it already feels smoother! I'm immediately impressed so I’ll see how I get on with it. You can get the full sized 30ml version here for £14.95 and the 5ml sample here for £2.95. It's disappointing that 'full size' is only 30ml for that price. If I like it and decide the night cream is worth repurchasing, it'll be a splurge, but I have a feeling it could be one of those 'a little goes a long way' products.

Whilst browsing the Wild Rose Range on their website, I saw an offer on a set with Cleansing Lotion, Toner and Smoothing Lotion for just £10, saving £19.85… so I bought it! It looks like they had a body care set which must have sold out already, probably with thanks to whoever received that sample in their Glossybox.

I'll try these Weleda products and report later.

UNIQONE All in One Hair Treatment Spray - 9ml

This sounded promising, claiming to be “The first leave-on mask on the market that offers the 10 main benefits that hair needs. The ideal partner for every day use for the best stylists and their most demanding customers.

What are you on about love? Demanding customers? I’m not sure what they meant by that but I had a spritz on the frazzled ends of my hair. I can’t really notice a difference, it even feels a bit rougher if anything (I didn’t spray much), but it smells like hair salon in a bottle! 

The bottle lists the supposed benefits as follows:
  1. Repair for dry and damaged hair
  2. Shine & frizz control
  3. Heat protection
  4. Silkiness & smoothness
  5. Hair colour protection with UVA/UVB filters
  6. Easier brushing and ironing
  7. Incredible detangling
  8. Long-lasting hairstyle
  9. Split ends prevention
  10. Adds body
So far I'm not convinced but I'll try it in its various guises as suggested above and give it a chance.

Full size is £13.99 for 150ml, Sold exclusively in hair salons. The website is here but it’s a bit bare information wise.

Let’s Go Lashes –Temptress 09 Strip Lashes

"Available in 40 styles, 100% human hair, incredibly easy to apply and re-usable."


I’ve never tried human hair lashes before (eek!) but these look very luscious and I’m keen to try them, because the lashes themselves are bonded to a clear strip. I’ve only had synthetic lashes on obvious looking black strips before and I always struggle with them so I’d like to see if these are easier for me. I think they look fluffier and more natural than synthetic lashes (stating the obvious a bit there, I know).


Their website looks interesting, with an instructional video on applying lashes and info about training. They have a shop section too with their other brands, my particular lashes can be found here for £8.95. I think all the strip lashes are that price, actually.

Interestingly, their parent group also make the Nouveau Lashes mascara that appeared a few Glossyboxes back… was it Christmas? I cannae remember.

All in all I thought it was a fairly impressive array of bits and bobs, and one that I’m sure I will use every product from. Thumbs up from me, I’m looking forward to trying them all. Glossybox have just about redeemed themselves for last months bad egg, so I won’t be cancelling my subscription yet!

Sticky Kisses!



P.S. Crikey that was long! Sorry...






No comments:

Post a Comment