Saturday 26 May 2012

Pastel Hair - Stargazer Baby Pink and Renbow Crazy Colour Lavender

A couple of months ago I finally got around to trying my Stargazer semi permanent conditioning hair colour in Baby Pink. It's been knocking around in my toiletries cupboard for around three years unopened. I bought it when I was last a bleach blonde along with a box of hot pink permanent colour. At the time of purchase I had dyed my under layers black and was going to do slices of hot and baby pink between. I never got around to it which I regret because I was still in uni at the time and I could have gotten away with much crazier hair! I wish I'd done that at college when I was 16/17/18. I still haven't used the hot pink.



Anyway one day this year I got it out of my cupboard and dyed my under layers pink on a whim! You're meant to apply it to combed through, towel dried hair after shampooing. I found that it didn't take very well first time around so I had another go when it was dry and the colour was much more visible.


I only got one picture but here's an example of baby pink in my hair:






The whiter your blonde hair is the better, as brassy bits will change the colour and make it less effective. In my case, I had a couple of faint brassy bits near my roots and it looked a touch more peachy pink because it was more gold blonde there. You really need bleach blonde hair for these dyes!


I'd love to do baby pink all over - maybe if I was younger or had shorter hair again. It'd make for a cute bob. My hair is too damaged for it to look good all over!


It faded after a week or so but I didn't mind that personally as I didn't want long-term commitment! That's what I have Mr BNH for ;) whereas beauty trends will come and go! Next up was lavender...


I was looking for a nice lavender semi permanent hair colour online, as I'd wanted to dye my hair that colour for a long time. After looking at several brands I chose this one, based on shade. I was after a pinkier pastel purple, rather than grey or blue toned, which is what their 'lilac' shade looked like.




It didn't cost much and I ordered it through Amazon here. This is my first time trying Renbow so I can't really speak for the other shades but it looks like they have a wide variety of colours to choose from. They're a British brand who claim to be the original since 1977, which instantly made me think of the Punk movement. I asked my dad but he'd never heard of it - probably because he was a rocker!


I nearly got a load of La Riche Directions colours to experiment with, but as I only wanted to dye sections of my hair I didn't want loads of large tubs to use up - I'm feeling like this is more of an experimental phase than a long term thing!


The small bottle of Renbow is a perfect size for my project and lasts longer than you might think - probably not so much for a whole head application. Directions would probably be better for that, or buying more bottles depending on hair length. Mine is very thick mid/shoulder length and i reckon I'd need at least two. The Renbow is the same amount you get in Stargazer bottles. it's also a deep conditioning semi permanent colour.


I went for something different with the lavender and applied it to the ends of my hair. This is quite a big trend at the moment so I thought I'd have a crack at it.


I left it on for half an hour, but it didn't take very well. Here's a pic of it dry (extremely frazzled hair - I know it's bad, that's why I'm a beauty no hoper!). I found it too pale and too bluey, not what I was expecting at all from the colour swatches online.



I had myself a little brainwave (woohoo!) and figured I could get the desired colour by mixing the stargazer baby pink with it. The two dyes are both semi permanent conditioning cream based formulas that apply in the same way. Within both ranges you can mix different shades to blend your own so I had no qualms about mixing the two together.


Here's a few pics of my tools all prepped... :)



And the mixing, before and after...










What it looked like whilst developing:




And dry and styled!

I've been told I look like one of these:

Picture from 99ptoresltd


I'm much happier with the result of this shade, and might mix it a couple more times to keep it maintained for a few weeks. It will look nice when it fades too, I think.


I don't know if I'll try any other colours, I guess I'll just have to see if I'm in the mood for it! I like the fact that it doesn't last too long which is good for someone who changes their mind a lot like me. If you wanted something more long term, then you'd probably need to buy a few bottles for regular upkeep.


Personally, I want to let it fade before my next hair appointment, as I don't want to keep bleaching my hair forever (and ruin it further). It's not so bad if it's short, but I want to grow it out. The crazy colours are just a phase :)


Sticky Kisses!

No comments:

Post a Comment