Monday 18 June 2012

Fushi – Rosehip Oil and Extra Virgin Coconut Oil


I’d heard a few people sing the praises of Rosehip Oil and it’s something I’ve wanted to try for a while. I’d read up on the trilogy bottle, which seems to be the favourite amongst many beauty bloggers, but I was reluctant to spend the best part of £20 on a teeny weeny bottle, even if a little goes a long way. Boots have started stocking it too, I noticed. I did some research and discovered a brand of organic skincare called Fushi, who conveniently for me, sell through Amazon.



They had a 100ml bottle which I paid £9.95 for, but is now being sold at £12.00 - I wonder if we have Miranda Kerr sparking a rosehip oil frenzy to thank for that? Whilst I was browsing their range I also came across their Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. I’d been recommended this by a customer when I worked for Claire’s Accessories, who was very precious about her hair. I remember spending ages trying to help her find hair sticks or clips with no rough bits on the plastic (not even minuscule bumps) that could possibly snag her hair. She did have lovely natural hair, and revealed to me (the terribly naughty bleach blonde), that she swore by coconut oil. So at only £5.30 for a huge 250g jar, I thought what the heck, I’ll give it a whirl. It's still at that price too, luckily! I'm keen to try their Argan Oil as well.

































My first impressions of the rosehip oil were that it smelt like cold used teabags! However, it’s really not too offputting. It feels a bit greasy when first going on the skin, and is a tinted brown colour, but not after its been massaged in. I’m pretty sure the general idea with rosehip oil is to use this at night, so it absorbs fully whilst you sleep and leaves you looking all ‘glowy’ in the morning, as it takes a while to really sink in. My skin did feel lovely and soft in the morning, but I don’t think I’ll see any real benefits until I’ve been using it for a while. I do like it so far and am happy to add it to my evening beauty routine. The only thing I feel it's missing is a pipette (or a pump as it's tall), it's quite fiddly getting it out of the bottle, and using a cotton wool ball absorbs more product than it applies, so I've just been carefully drizzling a tiny bit into my hands before massaging it in with my fingers, which feels quite nice :)



I was impressed with the extra virgin coconut oil straightaway. This is actually an edible organic product. I don’t really know what the health benefits of consuming this product are, and the directions on the label only mention eating two-three tablespoons a day, with nothing about directions of use for hair. Some of the reviews on Amazon are about eating it, some are about using it as a beauty product. As I mentioned before, I purchased this with the intention of using it on my hair.
































I did actually sample the teeniest bit to taste, and it was a bit weird and yucky, so I definitely won’t be eating my way through this product! The consistency is actually more of a thick, semi-opaque white paste – I actually think this is quite a pro, because it means you end up using less. You scoop out a little of the paste, and then after a few seconds and as if by magic, it melts from the warmth of the palms of your hands into a clear oil, which you can then apply through the ends of your hair. I prefer to use it on dry hair, rather than towel dried or damp hair like a lot of other oils and serums, as I didn’t really notice a difference that way. I found that it leaves it feeling shiny and nourished, and a little turns into a good amount. You can apply little bits where it needs it most too.








I depotted a sample into a travel pot when I went on holiday, and it was great to help my hair recover from the sun and sea. When I took the pot in my beach bag, it melted into pure oil, which was good for application, but not for the container. It leaked over my stuff, which didn’t necessarily damage anything, I just lost half a tiny pot!

I was much more gutted when, with the weather warming up recently, the whole jar melted into half paste half oil and clumsy me knocked it over! So even though it looks like I've used loads in the pictures, I've actually not. I do now however, have a very soft patch of carpet after I cleaned the goop up...
One downside for me though, is the smell. I really LOVE coconut – the fragrance and the flavour. But this stuff smelt sickly sweet and tasted that way too. I wonder if used in cooked dishes whether it would still be that way, but in my hair I’m not too keen on the scent. I can’t really complain too much as it’s a natural and organic product, so it’s doing good for me without fancy additives. I'm actually getting used to it and it doesn't bother me so much now as it first did.

I will carry on using both and by the time I get to the end of them I’m sure I’ll know if I want to re-buy.

Sticky Kisses!

No comments:

Post a Comment