Sunday 17 June 2012

NOTD - Butter London Disco Biscuit

I'd been lusting over this nail polish for literally months. I'd seen swatches of it online and it looked like the perfect nail polish for my taste. I actually tried to purchase it from this seller a while ago. After I placed my order they sent me an email to say it was out of stock, yet it was still being listed, albeit at a higher price! I wrote a reply expressing my annoyed confusion, but my clumsy fingers accidentally knocked the 'send' button on my iPhone before I'd finished, making me sound very rude indeed. Needless to say I didn't hear back. Eventually the same seller must have bumped the price back down, so when I'd made my mind up that I should just definitely have it because I positively needed it in my life, I went for it. At £12.00, it might be the most I've ever spent on a single polish thus far! It's a popular shade that is hard to find.


Did it live up to my expectations? Not quite, regrettably. I'd been intrigued by Butter London's range and especially this polish - I love the idea of a hot pink jelly with tiny flecks of iridescent blue glitter - if I were a nail polish, I imagined I would be this one! It looked exactly like MAC's LE Hello Kitty Glaze Lipstick in Big Bow, just in Nail Polish form. It was an added bonus for me to learn that the Butter London range are all '3 Free' - meaning they don't contain any of the Toluene, Formaldehyde and DBP toxic chemical nasties that are not the best thing to put on your nails.


So what let it down? Well, judging from some swatches I'd already seen, I was expecting this to be a lot glossier, and with a much more magical dazzle. The brush is ridiculously tiny. I painted two coats on top of OPI's Nail Envy. Annoyingly, it also made my VNL look dark - I can assure you my nails were clean! In the top picture they look like they're really grubby underneath, which is not a look I want to be rocking! It makes me paranoid and I can't stop checking them...


The application was okay, not too streaky or gloopy and didn't take ages to dry - it's quite a matte finish. I feel that it might look better on slightly longer nails, I'd just cut mine before these pics. Also, there's already the teensiest bit of nail tip wear already, even after a coat of Seche Vite. This polish definitely needs a topcoat, if not 2 or 3, to get it looking seriously glossy and to show up the glitter. In the pics with flash below I had a topcoat on my thumb and index finger - I think you can just tell the difference. 


The glitter is hard to spot unless you're up close, or in a really good light. It looks more like a sheer blue toned metallic fuschia, and I already have polishes like that. I'm disappointed, but I would've taken the plunge and bought it one day anyway, I couldn't have left it forever wondering whether it would be my perfect polish! :P


Look how gorgeous it looks in the bottle!


And here it is in bright sunlight looking a tad more jelly with 3 coats of Disco Biscuit and 2 of Seche Vite! You can see the glitter here a little more:


It's still a beautiful polish. And maybe if I play around with it a bit more I can get it looking more like those other pics. I'll definitely still wear it (I'll even match it to Big Bow), but probably not as much as I'd envisioned. I'll keep toying with it and see if I can get it to look like the beautiful sheer jelly with tiny sparkles of wonder I was hoping for!

Does anyone out there have this polish, and have the same problem? Or perhaps some tips on how to get it looking really great? I'd love to know!

Sticky Kisses!

No comments:

Post a Comment