Wednesday 15 August 2012

August Glossybox - International Superstars Edition

Hello Chaps!

It's time for the ever predictable and completely overdone GLOSSYBOX REVIEW!

 

The theme this month was 'International Superstars', to tie in faintly with the Olympics, I think. This box claims to include 'Hero products' from around the world, including products that have cult status in their own countries.





From Glossybox: Glossybox Lipstick in Glossy Pink (suggested retail price of £9.50)
There was another little Glossybox extra this month - apparently they've branched into their own cosmetics? I received a lipstick in the shade Glossy Pink. It's quite a dusky, rosy pink. The colour isn't the usual kind I'm drawn towards but it does actually suit me. I think they were aiming for a one-shade-suits-all kind of colour. It feels a tad drying and grainy in texture, but the colour lasts ages, even staining a little. If this were available to purchase, I wouldn't.


Described as an optically brightening polish to neutralise discolorations on the nail. I imagine this is the same principle as a purple toner to neutralise brassiness in bleached hair, but for your nails! I'm quite pleased about this, as although it might not seem very exciting, it's definitely something I could do with in my ever-expanding arsenal of nail care products! I haven't tested it properly yet, but it's definitely a polish and not a liquid treatment that dries. Probably a no-brainer, but it's not to be used as a topcoat! Alessandro also make a glitter version, which is... intriguing! I've wanted to try their products for a while - if this product is any good I might have to sample some of their pretty polishes.


From Japan: DHC Deep Cleansing Oil (from £3.50 for 30ml)
I used this to take off my make-up before swimming, when I arrived home to my Glossybox delivery last night. It's okay at the job - it feels a bit strange totally wrong to rub it into a dry face of make-up, but as I washed my face I saw signs of it running down the sink. I really, really cannot get behind the products that wash your full face of make-up off, it makes me cringe! I can't even bear to do it with Cleanse & Polish, I never feel like my face is truly clean, so I ended up using a face wash after this anyway. I've decided to use it as an eye make-up remover, so this 30ml bottle should last me a while that way!




 From Great Britain (Woop woop!): Lipcote (RRP £3.99)
The original lipstick sealer! I had a bad experience with a Boots 17 imitation of this over ten years ago (it dried my lips out and dried itself out), but I've never tried the original. It looks fancier than I remember, and I'm looking forward to road-testing it with various lippies. The fragrance does smell quite strongly of alcohol - it reminds me of those dodgy complimentary shots you get given after a meal on holiday.


From Spain: Vera Valento L'ombre à Paupière Margarita (RRP £3.85)
This is the real let-down of the box for me. It hardly needs saying but it manages to simultaneously look like:
a) something your Gran had circa 1967
b) those crappy beginner make up sets from Argos in the shape of flowers or a butterfly
c) something you'd find at the very bottom of the bargain basket at a dodgy market stall
I know I'm being a bit harsh here, but I'm sure others were thinking the same. I was so disgusted I was ready to shove it straight in the charity bag, but I was tempted to keep it just to try the top two minty shades. When I opened it the mirror (behind the applicator) fell out. I swatched a few shades, the lighter neutrals were very wishy washy, as I was expecting. However they were softer and not as chalky as I imagined they'd be. I might give it a few tries, and if I don't get on with it I'll pop the colours I do want in my Z palette. I'll be making sure to hide this in a box out of sight! Poor ugly little palette, I feel 
bad for being so mean now. 


From the wonderful U.S. of A.: Broadway Nails imPress Press-On Manicure (From £7.99)
This is definitely the winner of the box for me! I've wanted to try these since they've come out, and browsed the styles both online and in store. I love the idea of peel and stick falsies that don't damage the nail, but was concerned about the staying power for the price. I'd seen that these were in the box when I checked instagram before I got home to my own box. I couldn't believe my luck when I got the style I'd been lusting after most! Holla! is a metallic neutral pink with a gorgeous lace design overlay, and is slightly more expensive at £8.99. They might be a little tacky for some but personally I love them. I also love the fact they're packaged in a sturdy, nail polish-esque box! Much less hassle than those plastic layers that flick falsies everywhere (that just could be me though, I am exceptionally clumsy). I did check that a few sizes matched my difficult to fit nails (they are quite small) and thankfully there were suitable ones. I'm really looking forward to wearing these - if they last a satisfying length of time I'd like to try some of the other patterned/animal print ones like LovestruckOver The MoonTGIFDancing Queen and Starstruck. I don't fancy the plain ones as much, I might as well just paint my nails!


So all in all another good Glossybox for me, I know that it's pot luck and you can't have it all, but I was pleased with most of these products. I'm glad that more make-up and nail products are appearing in them though.

What did you think of August's International Superstars Glossybox? Were you happy or disappointed?

Sticky Kisses!

No comments:

Post a Comment